This is the new visitor’s complex that was constructed within the last few years to complement the cemetery, which is to your right, off the edge of this top picture.
When the Church took over the care of the cemetery in the 1930’s, it was in bad shape. Today it is considered a historical site, and is meticulously cared for.
The village of Florence, which sits between the graveyard and the Missouri River, used the cemetery for burials until the early 1900’s. Florence was an early candidate for the seat of the territorial government in 1853-54, along with Omaha and Bellevue. Omaha sat in the middle of the three, about six miles from each town. Florence was thought to be the hot favorite and initially it looked like the true winner, but the Omahans resorted to dirty tactics of all kinds and eventually won the designation (nothing has changed here). As a result, Florence eventually became part of Omaha. Many of the people involved in shaping very early Omaha were outright crooks, but luckily the honest people who began to move here had a hand in our progress, too.
This picture was taken right after the center opened, in 1999, and long before the trees filled out.
A view of the Mormon Temple that is fairly obscured by trees, from the western fenceline of the cemetery.